Friday, January 16, 2009

The Awakening...

It was a terrible experience I had today ... As I was walkin home from my workplace, having already left late - hungry, angry and tired, I was just talking on my phone to the one person who can make me laugh even when I feel like crying, the one person who always lifts my spirits (and those of everyone around) no matter how low I feel... It is a routine with me, talking to him as I return, after long days, his words are so soothing and make me feel great...
But, today, the routine was broken... Two nuts (I'm not someone who swears, but they make me use words I've only read, but never used)... stole my mobile... coming on the opposite side of the road at that... I later came to know that they'd been following me for a few minutes... I did come across a girl who wanted to help me, but there was little she could do... She lent me her phone and I could inform my folks... And her next words made me feel relax slihtly, she said that such cheap crooks would surely be caught, and said it was not worth going after them, and that I was lucky they hadn't harmed me... Thank God for that angel - though I don't know your name or who you are, I'd like you to know that you have helped me and that I'm very grateful to you for that... And thanks for getting me an auto... May God shower His choicest blessings on you.... (S.S.- ya, the same God who gave 86000 to M., saying "m,m....") :)
Now, having calmed down a bit, two serious questions come to my mind - will any road ever be safe for a girl (or for that matter any decent person) at night? We cannot always expect someone to be with us, there might be situations where we have to go out alone, but what price safety??? And, thanks to certain antisocial elements, parents (or family & friends,rather) fear for the safety of their loved ones - no matter how "modern" or developped a city is, the real rating of a city is how safe its people feel... And living in a city which has a reputation of being safe for girls, this does come across as a rude wake-up call to reality...
And now, to my other question, what are the law-makers doing to curb such incidents? I might get over this experience, but what about others like me?What about others who have not been lucky enough to escape with their selves intact?? And its impact on the psyche??? I know that the police department has its hand full with its many duties... Something needs to be done to reduce crime rates...
I always had faith in yotuh, but today even that has been shattered... I wonder how so many people can let their kids go astray...
And to all you Smart-Alec guys (I mean the nuts, not the good decent guys I know), it is not fun to stalk some girl, and think we enjoy it??? Then go get your heads examined... To the guys I know well, thanks for being with me and for restoring my faith, and thanks for showing me that there are people who respect women... The world needs more of you...
Hope I can make a difference, if not to the entire world, I hope I can do atleast some small thing to make the city safer... I hope I don't become just another statistic...

P.S.: the above blog contains my own personal opinion, and you are welcome to disagree... And guys, please do try and do your bit in making our cities safer... thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment